How To Avoid, Addiction To Viewing Your Website Statistics
Don’t you get a kick out of looking at your revenue and viewing how many people visited your website? Well, it could turn into an addiction. Here’s why.
Don’t you get a kick out of looking at your revenue and viewing how many people came to your website, read your newsletter, or clicked on your links?
It’s a great feeling to log in and see that you’re making progress.
Although it’s a must to know what’s going on and identify trends, it is counterproductive to constantly view your web stats. It’s like planting a seed and doing nothing else but watching and waiting for it to grow.
Define A Time For Checking Your Stats
Here’s what I do. If I don’t have any promotions running, then I like to look at my web stats twice a week. I’ll check on Thursday and Sunday. Thursday is midweek, which works well for me. I look forward to Sunday after church; I have my coffee and take a good look at what’s going on. It wasn’t like this before.
Web Analytics Addiction
I would be looking at my web stats every few hours, and sometimes I would check many times each hour. It was becoming an addiction. I was addicted to my web statistics. I realized that this behavior was counterproductive. So I decided to analyze on Thursdays and Sundays. This allowed me to get back to work and focus on building my business rather than watching my business.
You need to avoid getting addicted to watching your web stats. It will work against you and keep you focused on your web stats rather than focused on your work!
Disadvantages to Checking Your Web Stats Too Much
- It takes away from your work time.
- It draws negative energy because you may start to focus on what you don’t have or on your problems and that leads to lack of productivity.
- If you’re starting off and you don’t have many visitors or any revenue, then looking at your web stats too much makes you feel like you’re failing. And it gives you an excuse to give up. You may find yourself in a stuck state. You’re glued to your web statistics, not knowing what to do next.
- Your site, revenue, and success need time to grow. So let them grow. If you don’t allow growing time, you could be making hasty decisions. The only time I think you should closely watch your web stats are if you have a promotion going on. This is the time to watch closely and make necessary adjustments.
Another example of when you should closely watch your web statistics is if you are making new changes to an existing site. This is the time to dig in and find out what’s going on, identify trends, and plan accordingly.
That’s the way I see it.
To Your Success!
Action Steps Using Web Stats Effectively
1. Give your website the time it needs to grow.
2. Set up a plan that works for you and allows you to stay on top of things while working without distractions.
Important Points About Your Web Stats
- Looking at your web stats too much is like planting a seed and doing nothing else but watching and waiting for it to grow
- If you’re starting off and you don’t have many visitors or any revenue, then looking at your web stats too much makes you feel like you’re failing
- When You’re glued to your web statistics you won’t know what to do next
- Watch your web statistics is if you are making changes or have a promotion going on otherwise let it go