Business Is Changing Quicker Than Anytime In History
Change is now quicker than before, simply because technology is moving forward at a massive pace. People are getting used to “more convenient,” “better,” and “quicker.” And because they are treated better if you don’t change and update your business, you not only have competition in the marketplace, you also have to compete for your customer’s attention. It will be harder to satisfy your customer.
A Story About Denise’s Hair Salon
Denise ran a hair salon that she started many years ago. She had a large customer base and had been successful. She noticed that her customer base was declining. The list of regulars was getting smaller.
Denise didn’t keep up with industry news. What she didn’t know was that other salons were offering new massage chairs as well as manicures while customers had their hair done.
They also had most of their customers on an e-mail list, and they made some irresistible offers once a month. Not to mention, big screen TV’s as well as espresso coffee and other beverages. The customer experience had been taken up a few notches.
The advance in the customer experience is great, but the most advanced feature was you could see what your hair would look like before the hairstyles had begun to style your hair. The computer would take your photo and display different hairstyles, so you could see what you look like and make a better decision as to their hairstyle.
The industry had advanced to new levels, and it would take Denise months and a huge financial investment to get her business to a respectable level.
If she had stayed up to date, she could have implemented the changes easily, little by little, and with a sense of mastery because she implemented one change at a time rather than all at once. She would also have given her customers something new every few months rather than having to shut down to implement all the changes at once.
What Do You Need to Change?
- Being open to change is the most important step
- Before looking for something new, it’s best to get rid of something that’s not working or hurting your business or it will hurt your business in the future
- Find out what’s new in your industry. You can do this online or through trade journals, newsletters, etc. With all the new happenings, think about what would work and what would be appropriate for your business
- Listen to what your customers want
Listen To Your Customer
Although you have to follow your instincts and do things the way you feel is right, you need to find out the most important opinion and that’s the opinion of your customer.
You may not be in direct contact with your customers, so you have to talk to them. One of the best ways to do this is via a survey.
For a really good and entertaining book on change, check out Who Moved My Cheese?
That’s the way I see it.
A Touch of Business.com
Important Points to Keep In About Change in Business
- Change is going to happen either you adapt or you may be left behind.
- Change is now quicker than before, simply because technology is moving forward at a massive pace.
- This is the biggest idea—to listen to what your customers want.
- Although you have to follow your instincts and do things the way you feel is right, you need to find out the most important opinion—and that’s the opinion of your customer.