A Unique Collection of Resources You’ll Need To Become a Speech Therapist
If you’re interested in making a difference in the lives of people who have speech disorders by helping them to live better, more satisfying lives, then a career as a speech therapist — also referred to as a speech-language pathologist — could be a career choice for you.
You may need to work from one location, or you could work at multiple locations when starting off. In a few years, when you are fully certified, you may open your own practice — but keep in mind even if you have your own practice, you will still need to visit schools and patients who have had a stroke and require in-hospital care.
As a speech therapist, your job duties may include some of the following tasks:
- Working with children one-to-one or in a group for stuttering problems, learning disabilities, and voice disorders
- Conducting hearing test one-to-one
- Conducting a school-wide hearing test for early detection of hearing problems
- Working with kids who have permanent hearing loss to learn sign language when needed
- Working with special education teachers to plan teaching methods for students with speech and hearing problems
- Working with and educating parents on how to cope and help their children who have special needs
- Monitoring and enhancing speech theory programs
- Creating a progress report for children and patients you’re working with
- Working with stroke victims to enhance speech
- Working with children and adults to improve their voices
- Helping people to improve their vocabulary and sentence structure in their communications, whether it’s written or oral
- Working with people to improve their pitch
- Conducting exercises to develop and strengthen muscles used to swallow
- More in the resources to follow
This is a high-paying job; naturally, the area you’re in and demand plays a factor in salary, but statistics show that demand is growing. You’ll be able to find the job statistics in the resources below for accurate numbers and trends.
You want to make sure that this is the right type of career for you before you invest thousands of dollars in your education and spend years of schooling, only to find you have made a career choice that isn’t a good fit
Here are a couple of ideas that can help you with your career choice.
Go through as many resources as you can about the career. A good start is the resources included in this post. Next, visit universities that offer a complete education in the field.
In addition to your research, try to find a voice speech therapist or two who will allow you to shadow them in situations that aren’t confidential so that you’ll get a taste of what you can expect from this career. If that’s not possible, see if you can interview a speech therapist. With an interview, you can gain a lot of knowledge by preparing your interview beforehand. This preparation gets the conversation started, and by doing, so you are respecting the person’s time.
By doing all the above work before committing to this career, you’ll have a good idea of what you’re getting into before you start your journey.
Have a look at the resources below that are organized in sections for your convenience.
Sections In This Post Include:
- How to Become a Speech Therapist
- Job Outlook for a Speech Therapist
- Things To Know About A Career As A Speech Therapist
- A Day in the Life of a Speech Therapist
- Character Traits of a Speech Therapist
- Salary for a Speech Therapist
- Getting The Job
- Speech Therapist Resume Samples
- Speech Therapist Interview Tips
- Tools For a Speech Therapist
- Associations Related to Speech Therapy
- SPL Terminology
- SPL Quotes
- Publications Related To Speech Therapy
- Twitter Accounts Related To SPL
- Movies and Documentaries Related To SPL
- Speech Therapy Podcasts
- Blogs Related To Speach Therapy
- Tips and Insights Related to Speech Therapy
- Job Opportunities for a Speech Therapist
- Books Related to Speech Therapy
- Latest Search Results Related to Speech Therapy
- Latest News Related to Speech Therapy
- Tweets Related to Speech Therapy
- Videos Related to Speech Therapy
Speech Therapy Resources
How to Become a Speech Therapist
Job Outlook for a Speech Therapist
Things To Know About A Career As A Speech Therapist
A Day in the Life of a Speech Therapist
Character Traits of a Speech Therapist
Salary for a Speech Therapist
Getting The Job
Speech Therapist Resume Samples
Speech Therapist Interview Tips
Tools For a Speech Therapist
Associations Related to Speech Therapy
Publications Related To Speech Therapy
Twitter Accounts Related To SPL
Movies and Documentaries Related To SPL
Speech Therapy Podcasts
Blogs Related To Speach Therapy
Tips and Insights Related to Speech Therapy
Job Opportunities for a Speech Therapist
Books Related to Speech Therapy
The Latest about Speech Therapy
In this section, you’ll find the latest information related to Speech Therapy, including the latest news, Google search results, videos, what people are tweeting, and more.