Resources To Start a Business Decorating Cakes
Traditional cakes like Grandma used to make have been coming back – but with a twist. The baking of uniquely decorated, scrumptious cakes is a talent; today the decoration is becoming an art form.
High-end downtown areas are selling premium cake-on-a-stick or cut-cake-in-a-box delights. Innovative cake decoration includes 3-D lifelike cakes, photo cakes, and cakes that use sugar-crystallized edible flowers.
As with a bakery, only a bit more specialized, cake decorating requires time to mix ingredients and bake the basic cake base. Sometimes, as with 3-dimensional cakes, it can take several hours to cut the cake as required for the design.
Additional hours are needed to prepare fillings and icing, mold crafted edible decorations, and do the actual decorating of the cake.
Some cake decorators will spend an entire day crystallizing edible flowers and creating marzipan designs for cake decorations so that they have them on hand.
- Using food coloring
- Brush embroidery techniques
- Cake toppers
- Making Different types of icing
- Creating ruffles
- Creating messages on cakes
- Floral icing decorations
- Creating leave decorations
- Sculpting and molding cake designs
- Handle the necessary ovens and other baking equipment adequately
- Knowledge of various cake recipes
- Color coordination
- Proper storage and delivery of your finished cakes
- Common Business Skills
Employee Job Considerations:
- Cake decorators
- Delivery personal
- Common staff positions needed to run some businesses
Equipment and Supplies:
- Cooling racks
- Turntables for easier decorating
- Separators for multi-layered cakes
- An airbrush
- Bowls and spatulas
- Icing tubes
- Icing bags and accessories
- Rolling pins
- non-stick boards & mats
- Various sizes and shapes of cake pans, and cupcakes
- Heavy-duty mixer
- Icing bags
- A large variety of Decorations for cakes
- Cake boxes
- Delivery van or truck
- A digital camera to photograph your finished products
- A 3-ring binder or website to hold a portfolio of your cakes
- Essential Office Equipment
- In addition to our list of common business expenses, your cake decoration business will require a budget for the ongoing cost of acquiring baking supplies, and packaging.
If you are just starting out, and testing the waters a couple of cakes here and there leaving your house will be fine without a license. However, if your business becomes more regular, you have two options: get a zoning permit for commercial sales in your neighborhood or rent a kitchen area, both of which will require Health Department Inspections and permits.