An Overview of How to Start a Computer Repair Business
Computer Repair Business Overview:
The work performed can range from replacing hardware, upgrading software, virus cleanup and protection, networking issues, system set-up, and more.
There are several things to consider before starting. First, consider whether to start this business inside your home or in a shop. The benefits of starting inside your home are low overhead and operating costs.
Also, consider whether you plan to make house calls or only work from your shop.
You may decide to specialize in certain programs or operating systems, such as Linux or Windows. Finally, there are also franchise computer repair companies such as Fast-Teks® available.
- Using a variety of diagnostic tools
- Cleaning computers
- Software installation
- Pickup and drop-off of computers
- Soldering parts
- Building custom computers
- Data backup
- Staying current with advances in the computer industry
- Knowledge of both hardware and software
- Experience working with electrical components
- Knowledge of different operating systems
- Ability to diagnose and repair various types of hardware, software, and network issues
- Strong problem-solving, organizational, analytical and multi-tasking skills
- High level of computer literacy
- List of Common Business Skills
Approximate Daily Hours Needed:
General Hours of Operation – Many companies operate within normal hours, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., but this can vary, depending on the clients that require 24/7 emergency services.
Employee & Job Consideration During The Start-up Phase Or In the Future:
- Computer Technicians
- Sales Personnel
- Common staff positions needed to run some businesses
Approximate Minimum Startup Cost:
Entrepreneur Magazine estimates that startup can range between $2,000 USD and 10,000 USD; however, if you already have an updated computer and laptop, and basic equipment, these expenses may be less.
Equipment, Supplies, & Services During Start-up OR In The Future:
- Diagnostic tools and testers
- Reliable transportation
- Gloves and grounding tools
- Small precision screwdriver set
- A variety of toolkits including wire strippers, solder gun, etc.
- Digital Voltmeter
- Different types of cables (USB, audio/video, etc.)
- Dust removers for equipment
- Essential Office Equipment
- See Our List of General Retail Equipment
Monthly Expenses to Consider:
- You may decide to obtain an additional certification for hardware and software (IT)
Pros and Cons:
- Minimal startup investments
- Large need for this service
- High-profit margins are available
- This business is completely expandable
- Customers can be impatient and demanding
- You may be held responsible for lost data
- You may be on call at odd hours
Type of Customers You Need to Attract:
As technology continues to advance, more and more homes and business have computers and networks. Clients can include businesses such as hospitals, retail stores, law firms, government agencies, and home computer users.
Entrepreneur Magazine also says that the national average for computer service billing is $100 USD. This varies though. For example, the average for Manhattan is $160 USD.